Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Surprise Transfer

This week went well. We were blessed with two new investigators. We had district meeting on Tuesday. Elder Ferland, our district leader, is a really experienced missionary with a lot of humble wisdom. He is a professional violinist--he's 26 and has a bachelors degree. After district meeting, I went on travels with Elder Ferland's companion, Elder Bean. We did lot's of good work on the streets of new market and saw much success. Elder Bean came into the mission field a bit after I arrived in Wasaga Beach but he is already such a great missionary. I'd love to be able to talk to people as well as he does. I've really loved working with Elder Atwood. He's so animated and we spend a lot of time laughing together.
Last night we got a phone call from one if the assistants. It was one of those calls where your heart drops down to your foot. The assistant explained that there have been a lot of health problems in the mission--some missionaries have had to go home and some missionaries are returning to the field after their recovery. As a result, some people had to be moved around. The Lord has called me to a place called Pickering, a suburb of Toronto. I was pretty sad when I heard that news. It seems that all of the companions I have loved the most end up only being there for 3 weeks. Elder Atwood is my third 3-week companion. He is going to be moving to Barrie South. There will be no missionaries in Stayner for a while; the Barrie South Elders will cover both areas.
This is a pretty big change. I've been here for 7 months and suddenly--it's all gone. I'll miss the area, Carol, and all of the members. Seven glorious months of my mission have been spent laboring here, and they were seven months well spent. Whether in the snow, rain, or blazing heat, among the friendly or the hostile, there is nothing better than being in the service of God.