General Conference was great! I love being able to listen to the prophets and apostles. Conference is like a spiritual marathon. When the word marathon is used in regards to running, I think most of us cringe a little bit inside. When the word marathon is used in regards to watching your favorite TV show all day, it's much more pleasant. When our attitude is such that church meetings and conferences instill a sense of enjoyment rather than a sense of endurance, that's the best. I feel like this conference they really emphasized the principle of action. Much was taught, but unless we make plans to apply what was taught, it will do us no good. Unless we act upon the light and knowledge that we receive, we are just making ourselves more accountable in a bad way.
Transfer calls were last night, and no one changed in our apartment. I was fine with no change, in fact I expected it. It is now official that I have gone my whole mission without serving in a leadership position, which, admittedly, is slightly frustrating. It doesn't happen very often. The Savior taught many parabled regarding workers and employers. Taking those lessons from a temporal perspective, we learn that the employee has to deal with unjust employers; his pay is limited and he is subservient to his employer. The employer, on the other hand, has deal with dishonest or lazy employees that might not obey orders; take the man who buried his talent, for example. Perhaps sometimes the employee wants to be the employer and sometimes the employer wants to be the employee. All have their problems. Both situations have their share of blessings and trials.
It is known that the Lord "grants unto us according to our desires..." But he also chooses to withhold certain blessings (or trials) from us according to his will. I will trust that the Lord has asked me to serve in the callings that I was meant to serve in. Whether I am an employee or an employer, I will be happy to serve wherever, whenever, and however.
--Elder Wade