Monday, May 7, 2012

One precious week

This week we had a leadership conference, so Elder Behira spent the day with us as his companion went to the meeting. Elder Behira is the elder that I replaced when I came into this area 6 months ago. We set up a great day with him working with some of the less-actives and recent converts that I knew would love to see him again. It's great to see the lasting friendships between a missionary and those he serves with. I feel a great connection with the Kitchener-Waterloo ward; I love them so much. This Sunday Sister Umbach got up during testimony meeting and told the whole ward that I had less than two weeks left. I was so embarassed. I guess the secret is out... The good thing is that we had a lot of people sign up for a dinner appointment this week, haha.
I have one week left. My feelings about that week is just enjoy it. I've enjoyed missionarywork, I really have. I haven't let the days go by. I wasn't always perfect but I always loved it. What if you knew that your favorite food in the whole world was a going to be gone forever, and you could only taste it one last time? You would savor it, wouldn't you? That's how I feel about it anyway. I will never understand missionaries that get "trunky." Right now I feel more nervous and sad than I feel excited. Not because I don't want to see everyone again but because I will miss the depth and frequency of spiritual experiences that I have been having here in Canada. And I will miss all of the people that I have grown to love. But something tells me that I don't need to be afraid. God's plan of happiness, while it affects missionaries, is designed for families. There will be great days ahead; the best is yet to come.
We went on exchanges this week, and I went to Brantford with Elder Strobel, a gentle giant from Idaho. He's a football player for sure, and a great missionary. This is his second transfer, and he is pretty much follow-up training himself. We learned a lot from each other. Brantford is a great place, it's where my trainer was trained. We talked to a man named Roger at his doorstep. Elder Strobel said, "Do you have 5 or 10 minutes where we can just sit down and share our message with you?" He said yes, and we went into his living room and taught him about the restoration of the Gospel of Jesus Christ in unity with the Spirit. You hear a lot of crazy, exciting missionary stories, but I've come to value the simple moments like this the most. Just being able to teach the restoration by the power of the Holy Ghost. There's nothing better. It's at those times that I feel fulfilled. One day I will be judged for what I have done in this life and hopefully be given a reward, but for now this is reward enough for me. What my soul really craves is the Spirit of the Lord. It is said that the wicked, "shall have their reward." I think the righteous "have their reward" as well, temporally speaking. In fact, the righteous have the greatest reward in the eternities and in temporal life.
"And moreover, I would desire that ye should consider on the blessed and happy state of those that keep the commandments of God. For behold, they are blessed in all things, both temporal and spiritual; and if they hold out faithful to the end they are received into heaven, that thereby they may dwell with God in a state of never-ending happiness. O remember, remember that these things are true; for the Lord God hath spoken it." (Mosiah 2:41)
--Elder Wade