Monday, March 12, 2012

Eternal Life

On Saturday it was -6 degrees celsius and on Sunday it was +16 degrees celsius which is a HUGE jump in temperature, one of the biggest that Kitchener-Waterloo has ever seen. We went out walking to a street that we planned to tract, but there were so many people walking around, washing their car, playing catch, etc. that we never got a chance to knock a single door. I was so happy. That's the first time that that has ever happened in for me in this area for a very long time. We talked to a lot of people that hour or so and got 2 potential investigators. One was Chinese and one was YSA. Later that day, we went to visit one of the families in our ward. One of their sons had a couple of friends over, from the Spanish branch. One of them, Marlin, has been attending church for 2-3 years but hasn't been baptized because his parents wouldn't give him permission. He turns 18 on the 25th of March, so we explained to him about the missionary lessons and set up an appointment for him with the sister missionaries. He will also be playing sports with our district this P-day. So we got 3 solid contacts yesterday, one for Chinese, one for Spanish, and one for YSA. Howard, the Chinese man we found a few weeks ago, will hopefully be baptized in 2 weeks. I will happily share the Gospel with everyone, but hopefully one of these days we will be able to find an investigator for ourselves. We dropped Rob and Ashley, so we are down to zero investigators.
I had an exchange with the district leader on Wednesday, Elder Sommerfeldt. He and his companion stayed over the night before, so we had a 6 elder sleepover. Elder Sommerfeldt is the man! It was probably one of the best travels I've ever had, not because we taught a ton of people or found new investigators(on a more positive note than the paragraph above, we did manage to find some potential investigators for ourselves), but because of the conversations we had while tracting. We just talked doctrine the entire time and learned from each other and from the Spirit. The Holy Spirit, well, he's the man too! You can study all the books ever written about Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ, and that could take, say, 50 years. But what those books would attempt to teach you would pale in comparison with 30 seconds with the companionship of the Holy Spirit. I've studied the Bible and the Book of Mormon for a long time. I started because people told me that I was supposed to, or because I felt that it was the right thing to do. I think these are good reasons. But over time on my mission, my desires, my intentions, my motivations, for studying the scriptures have changed. Now I'm beginning to study them because I love them. It is not a chore anymore. I have experimented upon the Word, and it has become delicious to me.
"And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." (John 17:3) Coming to know Jesus Christ is not a task, nor a trial, it is eternal life, "which gift is the greatest of all the gifts of God." (D&C 14:7)
--Elder Wade