Monday, January 24, 2011

London

This week was great! Elder Kneale is an awesome companion. Missionary work in London is pretty intense, because I'm not used to being in a big city. We focus on Chinese people and the young single adults (YSA). Because of that we only have 3 streets that we visit; it's the same 3 spots every day and Elder Kneale has been doing that here in London for longer than I've been in Canada.We take an hour of language study every morning so we don't leave the apartment until 11 AM, which is a bit boring but that's ok. I'm pretty sure I'll never learn Chinese. YSA work is a blast, because it's so much easier for us to relate to people and I don't have to put on my grown-up voice. There's a university here that we contact outside of and there's always a ton of YSA people to talk to.
Most of our teaching appointments are in Chinese, so that presents a few challenges of course. Sometimes we just do half of the lesson in English and half in Chinese. Most Chinese people have no knowledge of God so it takes a lot longer to go through all of the lessons with them. For Canadians, our first lesson encompasses the entire restoration(God, prophets, great apostacy, Joseph Smith, etc.) but in Chinese work we teach just God and prayer. It's a bit harder to teach to someone with absolutely no prior understanding but at least there isn't a ton of false doctrine that we have to cut through.
We just had our quarterly interviews with President Brower and he told me that I'm only going to be here for like 2 more weeks, so there's not much of a point in giving out an address. Send mail to the Brampton address if you need to. At church we go to both the family ward and the YSA branch, so we are at church all day. The Chinese elders don't really have a specific ward to go to because there aren't any Chinese branches. So we go to the London 2nd ward with the London 2nd missionaries and we go to the YSA branch with the zone leaders.
Elder Kneale is great. I don't think I've ever gotten along with a companion so well so quickly. I'm really glad that the Lord paired us up for his last 3 weeks in the field. Out apartment is pretty nice. It's spacious and has 2 bathrooms.
I hope everyone has a great week! I'll email some pictures next week.
--Elder Wade