Monday, October 25, 2010

An eventful week, to say the least




Ok, this last week has been jam-packed with craziness. I don't think I can fit it all onto one letter but we'll see.

First things first--HAPPY BIRTHDAY MOM! I love you!

Secondly, transfers. Last night was the most ridiculous transfer night ever. One of the assistants to the mission president called and here's the scoop: Elder Bennett is staying. I'm going down to the Windsor downtown area and I'll be junior companion. My senior companion and follow-up trainer is...Elder Eatchel!

What...
What?
WHAT?!?!?!
DOES THAT EVEN HAPPEN?!

Seriously, that's like the craziest thing that ever could have happened. I don't even know what to think. It's round two with Elder Eatchel and I'm sure it will have its challenges and its blessings. Windsor is right at the border of Ontario and Michigan. For everyone at home worrying that I would freeze to death this winter, don't worry (at least, not as much) because Windsor is about as far south as it gets. It's a big city and we'll be walking, no car or bike. Elder Eatchel has been there for 4.5 months so he knows the area and everything. Elder Bennett says it's gonna be a tough town, no tracting, just street contacting droves of people. But I'm not scared. Well, maybe a little bit.

Also, and here's some not so great news, but we were talking to Leah's 12 year old son the other day, and here's how the conversation went:
"Hey Elder Bennett what's your real name?
"It's [name]."
"Hey, that's my mom's last name!"
"....What? It's not the same as yours? Your Mom isn't married???"
"Nope, I don't think so."

Leah...isn't...married...NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! We thought she was so golden! We had a baptismal date set with her...We hadn't covered the law of chastity but, what the heck? We didn't expect that at all. And then later this week she told us that her "husband" was gone and wasn't coming back. They broke up or something and now she has 4 kids to look after, and she's a normal, really nice lady. This is like the most horrible thing I've ever heard. We were totally blindsided.

In other news, Elder Ballard came and visited us this week. Yeah. The apostle. The apostle of God. He visited us. And I shook his hand. It was awesome. He came to Brampton, our mission headquarters, and taught us for about 2 hours. About half of the mission was able to attend, so ~60 missionaries. We were among the 60 and we drove 2 hours or so to get there. I think I'll tell you what he taught us in a later letter. Basically he told us where the Nephi from 3rd Nephi went and he told us where God lives and how resurrection works. Then he explained the facsimiles from the book of Abraham.

Just kidding, he talked about missionary work and the Gospel. But it was still really awesome and I learned a ton. I'll write more about it later.

The other thing that happened this week was Savannah's funeral. She died when she was five, so it was a different feeling during the service. We know of a surety what happens to children when they die. So there was a definite peace in the chapel at the time. And there was a feeling that I can't describe there. It wasn't sadness or joy, but it was kind of like both of them. It's hard to explain it. I know that Savannah is in the Spirit world right now, and she is bound for the celestial kingdom. Jennifer was at the funeral and I think it really helped her to understand the plan of salvation. It's such a beautiful plan. So we know that children that die before the age of 8 were valiant in the life before this and only needed to come to Earth for a short period of time, and then return to our Heavenly Father. And that got me thinking. Why am I still alive? God has seen fit to keep me here. Why? Hopefully there are a lot of reasons for my still being here, but 2 major reasons come to mind. I'm alive to 1)Spread the Gospel. God wants me here so that I can rescue some of my brothers and sisters that are lost. And 2)God needs me here so that I can provide an environment for more of his children to come into the world and get a body. That's also extremely important. I think those conclusions might change my perspective on life a bit.

So this next transfer will have a lot in store for me. Unfortunately I don't have an address yet. I don't know why they don't just let us email after we've arrived in our new area, but I'm still in the Hanover library today. I hope everyone has a great week. Kyler, I hope you have a great Halloween. And I hope everyone else will have a great one, too.

--Elder Wade