Monday, July 26, 2010

Travels

This week was really great, we were blessed with 4 new investigators. We had two last week, so in the last two weeks we have had way more investigators than we did for the first 3 weeks combined. Elder Bennett says he's only seen that big of an investigator pool in like 1 or 2 of his other transfers, and this transfer is a trainer-trainee whitewash so I think he is pretty surprised. But we've been diligent and obedient and the Lord has blessed us.

We've been talking to a lady named Leah and her family (although we haven't met her husband yet, he works nightshift and sleeps during the day). She seems legitimately interested which is something I haven't seen much of. She's kept her commitments and such. Saturday we talked to her about church and she thought we were crazy when we told her it was 3 hours long. Then we explained to her that she could give her kids away for 2 hours and she was pretty excited about that. She has 4 kids, 3 boys and 1 girl, 12, 9, 5, and 1 years old, the girl being the youngest. She seems so golden that I think that if she doesn't get baptized it'll be because of us. So I'm really hopeful about her family. Her kids get excited when we come over. The oldest one watched the Mormon episode of South Park at his friend's house and it peaked his interest, haha.

We had travels this week, which is where you switch companions in your district for a day. Elder Bennett stayed in Walkerton with the district leader and I got to go north to a place called Owen Sound, with a missionary that was only 1 transfer older than me. It was interesting. I got a chance to talk a lot more, because neither of us were super talkative, so I enjoyed that. And I also got a chance to look at the things that Elder Bennett does that I really like. For example, Elder Bennett talks to literally everyone he sees, and he has like super vision or something, because if it was just me I would walk right past some of the people without knowing they are there. He will be like , "Let's go talk to that guy." And I'll be like, "What guy?" Elder Cozzens, the missionary I was with in Owen Sound, is a really good guy. I remember the first district meeting we had I asked him and his companion about what they did before their mission. The conversation went like this: "Where are you from?" "Utah." "Cool, did you go to BYU?" "No." "U of U?" "No." "Oh, so you didn't go to college?" "No, I went to [some college in Utah that I don't remember the name of]." That was probably pretty ignorant of me, haha.

We also had interviews with the mission president, which was awesome. I felt like I was talking to an apostle. All of the interviews in our district lasted 15 minutes or so, but somehow Elder Bennett managed to talk to President Brower for what felt like an hour. He has the gift of gab. I think he will be a high councilman someday.

At church yesterday it was announced that there would be a musical number, and like 10 seconds later Elder Bennett and I realized that we were part of it. So we sang a song that we had practiced for a couple of Sundays before. The choir consists of a younger couple, the conductor, and us. It was quite an interesting experience. I still don't know how to sing, but I have to admit that companion study with Elder Cozzens made me feel a little better about my singing.

--Elder Wade

PS--send me a letter and I will always send a letter in response, guaranteed or your money back.